Tinder is issuing some kind of update tomorrow, according to a tweet posted on Wednesday afternoon. It could be as meaningless as a new color scheme, or a major overhaul of the meeting, profile, or messaging features. The Wire did some digging and put together a list of potential updates Tinder may have in the works:
- A messaging overhaul. The Tinder messaging system is a bit buggy, delayed and not so great at handling emojis.
- A more elaborate profile, containing the all important 'height' statistic.
- A more elaborate search feature, narrowing aesthetics and personality traits rather than just gender, sexual preference and location.
- The addition of banner advertising and/or other forms of advertisement, beyond sponsored profiles (The Mindy Project and Suits characters have already appeared as sponsored profiles on Tinder.)
- Third party integrations. Jonathan Badeen, the guy who invented the swipe right feature (and also the VP of Product for Tinder) said on Tuesday at Street Fight Summit West 2014, "Right now, third-party integrations are not on the immediate timeline, but they would be at some point. You’ve got local businesses all trying to get the attention of people who are looking to spend money in the local area. It would only make sense to tie them together.”
- Options to meet friends, rather than just fellow singles. At the same conference, Badeen also said Tinder is "exploring ways to expand the service beyond hooking up singles."
- Services for existing couples. Think what How About We offers: planned dates, activities, and even Groupon-style deals for romantic dinners. Badeen also mentioned this at the summit, he believes adding these options would curb "the desire to delete it once a relationship has been found."
- Event planning. Badeen said he would personally like to use Tinder for events.
The Wire reached out to Tinder for comment and will update if we receive a reply.