Tomorrow is the big day! Apple hosts its' "everything else" press conference where the Cupertino, California tech company will release, well, everything else. The typical whisperers and rumormongers that accompany an Apple launch have been busy.
The "everything else" feeling was sort-of the consensus among the connected when Apple sent out the invitations for tomorrow's event. "We still have a lot to cover," the company said, revealing where exactly iPads, Mac Pros, and whatever else is launched today fits on the company's totem pole -- below the mighty iPhone. The rumor mill's been churning, and the techluminati think these morsels are what Apple CEO Time Cook will announce tomorrow:
- Odds: very high
- This event revolves around the new iPads. The fifth generation iPad and second-generation iPad Mini getting unveiled are the two things everyone feels most certain about. AllThingsD reports the new iPad will be thinner, lighter, and fitted with a new camera and totally revamped innards. Experts expect the new models will run on Apple's new A7 chip, previously seen inside the new iPhone. The 9.7 inch screen will use "a thin film instead of the glass found in existing models," according to The Wall Street Journal. That'll be something to watch for.
- The new iPad Mini is getting a facelift, too: the new model will have a Retina display so everything on its 7.9-inch screen will appear in blistering high-definition.
- No one knows whether the new models will have TouchID yet. Mystery still exists in this world.
New OS X
- Odds: high
- It has to come out sometime, right? We've known about OS X Mavericks, named for the famous California big wave surf spot, since the summer, but it's yet to be released into the wild.
- AllThingsD says Mavericks' debut is all but guaranteed, with an official release coming before the end of this month. 9to5Mac is even more confident: "sources say that Apple is currently planning to release OS X Mavericks via the Mac App Store this week," reports the usually reliable Mark Gurman.
- If Mavericks does finally see the light of day, expect a slew of new software upgrades — new iWork, new iLife, maybe a FaceTime makeover — to accompany the announcement.
- Odds: medium high
- The new beefed-up professional computers that look like fancy waste bins are also finally getting release details tomorrow, according to the D and 9to5Mac.
New Macbook Pros
- Odds: medium
- Some expect new Macbook Pros with a Retina display, faster new Haswell chips to catch them up to existing Macbook Airs, and an improved camera are also coming.
- Odds: low
- There's a small, ever so tiny chance Apple TV will get a long rumored update tomorrow. Don't count on it though.