Rob Ford, the Toronto Mayor who admitted to smoking crack and having an alcohol problem, is only down by three percentage points in the latest poll. A Forum Research poll shows Ford at 31 percent, compared to lead candidate John Tory's 34 percent. Equally surprising, the number of Toronto residents who want him to resign has dropped from 63 percent to about 50 percent.
But good news is fleeting when you're Ford. Documents from the Catholic school Ford coached football at revealed that he was fired for threatening a teacher, being drunk at a practice and making players roll around in "goose scat," according to The Toronto Star.
And yet, this latest news isn't the most damning revelation about Ford's history. In fact, Ford's comeback is all the more amazing when you consider that he's spent the better part of a year being a hot mess, embarrassing the city both by being ridiculous and actually breaking the law. There was:
- ... the time a video of Ford allegedly smoking crack emerged
- ... the other time a video of Ford allegedly smoking crack emerged
- ... the time he admitted to using every drug imaginable
- ... the time video emerged of him promising to rip someone's "fucking throat" out
- ... any of the several times he's tackled people, including the time he tackled a councilwoman and gave her a fat lip
- ... the time he feuded with Kevin Spacey
- ... the time earlier this month when he said he was in a "stand-off" with raccoons
- ... the time he decided to run for re-election despite all of that
For months the world has been skeptical of Ford winning his re-election bid. But as he continues to rise in the polls – he was at 27 percent in an August 6 poll — it seems like the joke might be on us.