CBS's 60 Minutes aired a much-anticipated correction to its flawed Benghazi story on Sunday. "We are very sorry," correspondent Lara Logan said in a short statement on air. Speaking of the story's main source Dylan Davies, Logan added that after new information surfaced, "we realized we had been misled, and it was a mistake to include him in our report." The apology aired at the end of the program's weekly broadcast, delayed this week thanks to a football game that ran long.
The correction and apology came days after the network, citing "new information," concluded that it could no longer stand by the story of their main source. Dylan Davies, known as Morgan Jones in the CBS piece, told the network that he'd scaled the walls of the Benghazi compound during the attack to rescue Americans, and viewed the body of slain Ambassador Christopher Stevens after the attack. But Davies gave a completely different account to both his employer and to the FBI, in which he did neither of those things. After both conflicting reports emerged, CBS stopped defending 60 Minutes work, and Davies himself, against mounting evidence that he didn't witness the Benghazi attack. The Embassy House, Davies's book on the attacks, was pulled from the shelves and "suspended" on Friday. That decision came from the book's publisher, Simon & Schuster, a company owned by the CBS Corporation.
The report added little new information to what went wrong at 60 Minutes, only that the show was "misled," and that they were really sorry for the whole mess in the first place. There's also no word yet on whether CBS will investigate the incident, as they did after the infamous 2004 report on George W. Bush's National Guard service.
Earlier on Sunday, Senator Lindsey Graham said he would continue to hold up the Obama administration's nominees in the Senate until he gets to speak to Benghazi witnesses. That's even though the CBS story that inspired the threat in the first place is the one the network just corrected.