The unnamed woman who accused New York City police officers Kenneth Moreno and Franklin Mata of raping her while she was drunk two years ago has issued a public statement about the officers' acquittal on rape and burglary charges last week. She said she was "devastated and disappointed by the jury's decision" after a trial she described as "utterly disheartening." Here's a snippet (you can read the whole thing here):
Everything they say about the difficulties of a rape trial is sadly true. One’s word is not enough in these days of C.S.I. and DNA. Even if people believe you, you are tested beyond what any crime victim should have to endure. While on the witness stand, the defense attorneys seek to shame and humiliate you for hours, even days, with deeply personal questions about your body, your intimate life and your social life simply because you dare to come forward. How saddening, how utterly disheartening.
Her statement is the latest bit of fallout from a case that has not gone quietly from the news cycle. On Friday, protesters swarmed the courthouse in downtown Manhattan. Then on Sunday, Moreno's wife went on the offensive against the accuser, who she said was simply looking for attention. "In his case I believe she wanted sympathy from her friends because they threw her out of her own party," she told The New York Times. The accuser got drunk while celebrating a promotion at work the night of the alleged rape. "She robbed not only me, not only him, she robbed our kids of quality time. She robbed us of so many things," Julia Moreno said.
The public backlash that started with a protest escalated over the weekend, as posters bearing Moreno's and Mata's faces and the words "NYPD Rapists" began appearing on walls and utility boxes in New York's East Village (photo via Flickr user bombnyc).
And the saga of this woman's accusation against Moreno and Mata likely won't end soon. She's filed a $57 million lawsuit against the city and the officers, who were fired from the force after being convicted of misconduct.