The website and book Stuff White People Like caused a sensation by giving an armchair anthropologist's explorations of the quirky and sometimes absurd tastes of white Americans. But now dating website OKCupid has taken it to the next level by replacing the anthropological approach with a statistical one. The dating site, which previously explained politics by parsing its user data, has returned to its trove of user data to compare the preferences of different races. Though they apply rigorous statistical analysis to their 500 thousand-plus users, OKCupid's population is obviously not representative of the global or even American population. Still, the data is interesting. Here are the most common phrases to appear on the dating site pages of white men:
OKCupid's Christian Rudder sighs, "I won't comment too much on these lists, because the whole point of this piece is to let the groups speak for themselves, but I have to say that the mind of the white man is the world's greatest sausagefest." Here are the most common phrases to appear on the dating site pages of white women:
OKCupid has similar information for black, Latino, Asian, Middle Eastern, Indian, and Pacific islander users. Explore them on your own here. But here are some interesting examples:
- The two most commonly cited phrases within an ethnic and gender group are "soul food" by black women and "cricket" by Indian men.
- The most common phrase to appear on the dating profiles of Middle Eastern women is "different cultures."
- The sixth most common phrase used by Indian women is "residency."
- The second most common phrase used by black men: "I am cool." The sixth: "tall, dark, and handsome."
- The three people most commonly cited by Asian men, in order by frequency, are two white men and a man of black and white descent: Tom Clancy, Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes," Malcolm Gladwell.
- Asian women cite, in order by frequency: an Anglo-Jamaican woman, two white men, an Anglo-Jamaican man, an Anglo-Indian woman, and another white man.
- Christian Rudder points out, Latino Men share "an interest in telling you about their sense of humor (i'm a funny guy, very funny, outgoing and funny, etc.) and an interest in industrial strength ass-kicking (mma, ufc, boxing, marines, etc.) Basically, if a Latin dude tells you a joke, you should laugh."