About 90 minutes after the announcement that President Obama had won the Nobel Peace Prize, RedState blogger and editor-in-chief Erick Erickson said he was picked because of affirmative action:
Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize: He’s Becoming Jimmy Carter Faster Than
Jimmy Carter Did. I did not realize the Nobel Peace Prize had an
affirmative action quota
for it, but that is the only thing I can think of for this news. There
is no way Barack Obama earned it in the nominations period.
The blowback has been speedy and harsh:
- Kopec, responding to criticism that liberals ridicule the right: "Yup because of asshats like [Erickson]"
- Adam Serwer: "Erick Erickson wins the wingnut 'obama won the nobel cuz of affirmative action' prize"
- Madden sums up the opposition to Obama's prize: "The Taliban, Hamas and RedState.com."
- Brian Beutler: "It's almost as if [Erickson] doesn't realize there are whole continents of people that aren't majority white."
- Oliver Willis: "Thanks
again to racists like [Erickson] for demonstrating why minorities and
whites w brains run don't walk away from the right + GOP"
- Media Matters: "RedState's Erickson smears Obama's Nobel Peace Prize"
Erickson was not the only pundit
to deride Obama's win. Many liberals agreed that it's a stretch. What did Erickson have to say in his defense? He scoffed
, "OMG I made an affirmative action joke. I guess I'll never win the Nobel Peace Prize.