The West has been hoping to convince Iran to reduce their nuclear development, but announcements the country made on state television Saturday show they have no sign of slowing down.
Iran announced on state TV that it was going to start building two new nuclear power plants in 2013, and that it wasn't going to stop enriching uranium to 20 percent levels. "We have no reason to retreat from producing the 20 percent because we need 20 percent uranium just as much to meet our needs," said the head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, Fereydoun Abbasi-Davani, on state TV on Saturday.
Iran's also turned down a U.N. request to inspect the Parachin military base, where many believe they've been conducting experiments to build nuclear weapons. "The reasons and document have still not been presented by the agency to convince us to give permission for this visit," said Abbasi.
Inspecting the Parachin base, and Iran's uranium enrichment program were two of the biggest talking points heading into last week's nuclear discussions with Western powers. Negotiations stalled, but they were able to book another meeting to discuss Iran's nuclear development program in Moscow for next month. Despite the negotiations being put on hold, it sure seems like there isn't much of a point to the meeting any more. If Iran's already moving ahead with nuclear development plans ahead of the meeting, and outright defying the points left on the negotiating table, how much will actually get done next month?