The four New York Times journalists who went missing in Libya last week have been released by the Libyan government. Reporters Anthony Shadid and Stephen Farrell and photographers Tyler Hicks and Lynsey Addario were released into the custody of Turkish diplomats, and CNN reports that they're being held at the Turkish embassy in Tripoli. (Pictured above are Hicks, left, and Shadid.)

The journalists had been missing since Tuesday, March 15, when they were apparently captured by pro-Qaddafi forces in the port city of Ajdabiya. Saif Qaddafi, the son of Libyan strongman Muammar, indicated on Friday that the journalists would be released that day, but the government didn't relinquish control of them until Monday.

"We are grateful that our journalists have been released, and we are working to reunite them with their families," said a spokeswoman for the Times in a statement to the Yahoo News blog The Cutline. "We have been told they are in good health and are in the process of confirming that. We thank the Turkish, British, and U.S. governments for their assistance in the release. We also appreciate the efforts of those in the Libyan government who helped secure the release this morning."

Meanwhile, over the weekend, three journalists went missing near Tobruk, a city in northeastern Libya. Dave Clark, a reporter for Agence France-Presse, and Roberto Schmidt, a photographer for AFP, have not been heard from since Friday. They were traveling with Joe Raedle, a photographer for Getty Images, whose whereabouts are also unknown.

In Tripoli, a team of four Al Jazeera journalists have been detained, the network reported yesterday. And on Saturday, Mohammed Nabbous, the founder of an independent Web television station in Libya, was killed by pro-Qaddafi forces in the city of Benghazi. After hearing of his death, NPR's Andy Carvin said that Nabbous had been "the face of Libyan citizen journalism."