1. Marvel's The Avengers (Buena Vista): 200.3 million in 4,349 theatres
Who could have seen this coming? Marvel's four year investment finally paid off in a big way, crushing the competition at the box office this weekend on the way to setting a new opening weekend record for it's $200 million take. Despite debuting in fewer theatres than The Hunger Games, The Avengers brought in $30 million more than Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 did. It brought in the second most all time for a Friday night, but overwhelmingly positive reviews (it's currently rocking a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes) helped the Hulk smash the all-time box office record. The movie, according to Deadline, has already grossed over $640 million world wide over the last 12 days. It was also the fastest movie to make $100 million, $150 million and $200 million.
2. Think Like A Man (Screen Gems): $8 million in 2,010 theaters [Week 3]
And now for a $192 million drop in weekend earnings. Think Like A Man is actually the highest grossing movie that debuted in April. The bar: not very high for April movies.
3. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate): $5.7 million in 2,794 theaters [Week 7]
The Hunger Games finally cracked the $380 million dollar mark, and is spending its seventh week in the top three at the box office. Last weekend's initial estimate's had it behind The Lucky One, but it rallied to stay in the upper echelon.
4. The Lucky One (WB): $5.5 million in 3,005 theaters [Week 3]
Sorry Zac Efron, but your movie is not very good at making money. We're just lucky we don't have a girlfriend who wants to drag us to this.
5. The Pirates! Band of Misfits (Sony): $5.4 million in 3,358 theaters [Week 2]