Welcome to the Smart Set. Every morning we bring you the gossip coverage, filtered. Today: Staff members working for Rep. Steven Palazzo tore up Annapolis, Conde Nast editors are invading ABC Family, and Hugh Hefner wasn't too happy with Lindsay Lohan's Playboy photos.
- Hugh Hefner apparently "wasn't pleased" with the first batch of photos from Lindsay Lohan's Playboy photo shoot. According to a source, the old goat "felt the initial shots looked too much like a Kate Moss-inspired fashion story -- Lindsay’s choice -- where he wanted more of a classic Hollywood Marilyn Monroe feel." So the shoot was extended, with Lohan eventually "delivering the Monroe-inspired images Hefner wanted." [Page Six]
- Comedienne Chelsea Handler has split with her boyfriend of nearly a year, hotelier and famous lady dater Andre Balazs. "It was not immediately clear," even to Page Six, what caused the split, though they note Handler tapes her E! show Chelsea Lately in Los Angeles, while Balazs "spends much of his time in New York." Perhaps the little nugget knows. [Page Six]
- Over Columbus Day weekend, Mississippi Rep. Steven Palazzo invited "invited friends and family" to Annapolis for a tailgate party before the Southern Mississippi-Navy football game. But unbeknownst to him, apparently, the weekend festivities also attracted "a host of unruly House aides," including "multiple members of his office staff," who rented a house and held a "a two-night party" that resulted in a visit from the police. When the property manager called the congressman's office to complain, "at least two Palazzo staffers, [scheduler Ashley] Donald and Richard McKay, tried to run interference, going as far as to put someone up to impersonate the Congressman over the phone to the irate homeowner." There was also an offer of Mississippi pecans, seemingly intended to smooth over the situation. According to the homeowner and property manager, Donald also "derailed every attempt to speak directly with the Congressman or a senior staffer." Palazzo chief of staff Jamie Miller eventually got wind of the problem in late-October and indicated to Roll Call that Donald and McKay "will no longer be working for Palazzo." [Heard on the Hill]
- Stefano Tonchi, Amy Astley and Brandon Holley -- "the editors in chief of W, Teen Vogue and Lucky, respectively" -- will be appearing on Jane By Design, a new ABC Family show that premieres in January. A W spokesman says Tonchi's appearance was facilitated by Lynn Hirschberg, the magazine's editor-at-large, who is "really good friends with the producer, Gavin Polone, and he wanted Stefano to do a cameo." A Lucky spokesman notes Holley's cameo was "a joint partnership with edit and business" and that ABC Family bought ad space in the magazine, online, and received "exposure at this weekend’s Lucky Shops." Astley's appearance is coming up later in the season. All three magazines fall under the Conde Nast banner.[Women's Wear Daily]
- Bill and Hillary Clinton were spotted at the Sidwell Friends-Maret football game in D.C. on Saturday, along with daughter Chelsea and her husband Marc Mezvinsky. While Chelsea is a Sidwell alum, the older Clintons were cheering for Maret, because that's where nephew Zach Rodham goes. The first couple "mingled with the crowd and snapped photos," before leaving in the third quarter. Maret won 42-0. [The Reliable Source]
- After client Conrad Murray was led away in handcuffs yesterday, "a Town Car hired by the Today show swooped up to the LA courthouse to chauffeur" his attorney J. Michael Flanagan to the airport. The lawyer then took "a first-class flight to New York" and reportedly spent the night at the Jumeirah Essex House on Central Park South to rest up before a scheduled appearance on NBC's Today. Ratings-challenged NBC also apparently "bought documentary footage from a production company that was also shopping an interview with the doctor," but the network insists neither Murray nor Flanagan have been compensated "in any way." [Page Six]
- The Duggar family -- who have 19 children already -- announced that they're expecting number 20 in April. Help. [People]