Welcome to the Smart Set. Every morning we bring you the gossip coverage, filtered. Today: Meryl Streep poses with famous women for a Capitol Hill photo shoot, Larry King's roast will be dignified and respectful, and Michelle Obama appreciates the Kardashian family's teachable moments.
- Meryl Streep was spotted on Capitol Hill Tuesday, and it was initially unclear why she was in town, or why photos of her being swarmed by other famous women leaked online. One theory is that she was supposed to be the subject "an Annie Leibovitz photo shoot for Vogue ... but when asked by the magazine to pose for a feature, she suggested turning the focus to a favorite cause -- the National Women’s History Museum, which after years of fundraising and planning is still seeking a home on the Mall." She rounded up the likes of Madeleine Albright, Sen. Barbara Mikulski, Sen. Susan Collins, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Rep. Carolyn Maloney, Tricia Nixon Cox, the younger Barbara Bush, and NWHM founder Joan Wages to pose for shots with her "at the west lawn of the Capitol, near the House side; and on the Capitol’s east steps, closer to the Senate side." [The Reliable Source]
- A Los Angeles prosecutor will push today for Lindsay Lohan to be sent back to jail for violating the terms of her probation stemming from her 2007 drunk driving case. Lohan was supposed to complete 360 hours of community service at a women's center, but was "ousted" from the program last week, reportedly after missing her first nine scheduled visits and then leaving early when she did show up. Lohan will at least have the Los Angeles County Probation Department on her side during today's hearings. According to TMZ, department sources believe Lohan's "done most of what she's required to do, and they will NOT recommend that she be thrown in jail" and will submit a report that touts her "substantial compliance" with the terms of her release. [AP and TMZ]
- Beyonce and Jay-Z made a "very brief" appearance at Frames Bowling Lounge on Ninth Ave Tuesday night. It's a good thing they got out when they did because "[m]oments after their departure, a table laden with cake collapsed, leaving the spot where the couple had been standing covered in frosting and crumbs." [Gatecrasher]
- First Lady Michelle Obama revealed yesterday that the president does not like it when daughters Malia and Sasha watch silly reality shows like Keeping Up with the Kardashians. She's more tolerant. "Barack," the first lady says, "really thinks some of the Kardashians -- when they watch that stuff -- he doesn't like that as much... I'm more concerned with how they take it in -- what did you learn when you watched that. And if they're learning the right lessons, like, that was crazy, then I'm like, okay." That would make her the good cop. [iVillage]
- When well-wishers gather to roast Larry King at the Friar's Club next month, it will not be a roast per se. Officially, King will be receiving "a testimonial dinner," which is intended to be "more respectful" than the usual obscene, good-natured mocking. Jon Bon Jovi, Susie Essman, Joan Collins, Matt Lauer, and Katie Couric are all expected to attend, and at least one of them will probably find a way to work blue. [Page Six]
- Actress Amy Smart and HDTV carpenter Carter Oosterhouse are taking the environmentally-conscious couple thing to new heights. They first met after being assigned to work on "a project together for the Environmental Media Awards." At their 220 person wedding last month, they someho""generated just one bag of trash." Where did the empty bottles of white wine bottles and crumpled up wedding programs go? Unclear! [People]