Welcome to the Smart Set. Every morning we bring you the gossip coverage, filtered. Today: Courtney Love has mixed feelings about her late husband Kurt Cobain, Jon Hamm thinks he knows who the first choice for Don Draper was, and Mike Ovitz makes another notable exit.
- Kurt Cobain has been dead for 17 years, but Courtney Love is still unsure what her first move would be if her late husband walked in the door. "If he came back right now I’d have to kill him, for what he did to us," she tells Vanity Fair contributing editor Nancy Jo Sales in an interview for the magazine's October issue. "I’d fucking kill him. I’d fuck him, and then I’d kill him." After that vivid piece of imagery, Love goes on to show Sales a page out of daughter Frances's diary, and casually reveals the girl couldn't read until she was 7-years-old. “It was my fault!" Love admits. "I never read to her!...Why didn’t I ever take her to a Broadway show? She fucking loved those Broadway musicals!” [Vanity Fair]
- Former Disney president and gay mafia conspiracy theorist Michael Ovitz is reportedly off the board of sports talent agency IMG. According to a source, "Ovitz was asked to resign by [IMG COO Mike] Dolan on Monday" after "angering" ailing CEO Ted Forstmann by proposing a new management structure that gave the impression Ovitz was "maneuvering to take control of the company." Supposedly, Ovitz wanted Dolan to have to report to an executive committee and "suggested to other directors hiring a lawyer to represent the board’s interests," which is what prompted Dolan to make the request. [The Wrap]
- Jon Hamm says he thinks Hung star Thomas Jane was AMC's first choice for the role of Don Draper on Mad Men. The way Hamm hears it, the casting directors had to move down thir list after being told "Thomas Jane doesn't do TV." [WTF with Marc Maron via The Hollywood Reporter]
- One porn company was said to be offering $150,000 for a purported sex tape from 1991 featuring Tupac Shakur, but the rapper's estate said through a spokesperson they will "sue anyone" who attempts to sell the footage. The identity of the seller remains a mystery, but the estate is doing some sex tape detective work and "attempting to identify the individuals who appear on film, including the leading lady, believing one of them might be the culprit." [TMZ]
- Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively are reportedly canoodling on the set of his film R.I.P.D., currently filming in Boston. Lively's reps only confirmed her breakup from Leonardo DiCaprio this week, but there was talk of a romance when she and Reynolds were shooting The Green Lantern last year. She reportedly stayed at the Back Bay apartment he's rented for the shoot, and even "bought $270 worth of groceries, including pumpkins and toothpaste" on Saturday, though she insists she spent the weekend at a hotel. [The Inside Track and Gatecrasher]