Welcome to the Smart Set. Every morning we bring you the gossip coverage, filtered. Today: Daniel Radcliffe discusses drinking, a Kennedy moves into acting, and Princess Charlene's pre-wedding escape attempts fall flat.
- Daniel Radcliffe tells GQ UK in a not-online interview he was too "reliant" on alcohol while making the last few Harry Potter movies and hasn't had a drink since August 2010. [The Guardian]
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s daughter Kathleen has joined the ever-expanding cast of Aaron Sorkin's cable news drama, More As This Story Develops. Since graduating from Stanford, she's been studying at the Lee Strasberg Institute Theater and Film Institute. Before that, she went to high school with one Atlantic Wire writer, who remembers her just being called Kate. [Page Six]
- The stars turned out for former U.S. Ambassador to Brazil Clifford Sobel's 200-person "intimate party" at his East Hampton house Sunday night. Scarlett Johansson was there with "rocker friend" Pete Yorn, while Miami Heat forward Chris Bosh came with fiancee Adrienne Williams. Cameron Diaz was on the arm of Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, "who arrived late after the Yankees' loss to the Mets." [Page Six]
- Her reception this weekend may have featured a five-tier cake and The Eagles as live entertainment, but the newly crowned Princess Charlene of Monaco reportedly "tried to flee home to South Africa three times" before her wedding last week to Monaco's Prince Albert (he's Grace Kelly's son). Meanwhile, "palace sources" confirm that Albert, who has children from two earlier relationships, is "due to undergo DNA tests because of claims by at least one unnamed woman that he has fathered another illegitimate child." [The Telegraph]
- Today Show anchor Matt Lauer will guest star as himself on an upcoming episode of the USA's Hamptons-set medical drama Royal Pains. It's a nice bit of synergy, considering NBCUniversal owns both networks and that Lauer and his family are Hamptons "regulars" during the summer. [TV Newser]
- Speaker John Boehner's spokesman Michael Steel proposed to girlfriend Mary Kathryn Covert on the Spekaer's Balcony last night, an occasion Bryan Avondoglio of Boehner's press office was on hand to document in real-time. [Playbook]
- Investors in Crown, the new eatery from chef John DeLussie, are said to be "nervous" about construction delays that have pushed the restaurant's opening back from late Spring until "after Labor Day." [Gatecrasher]
- And finally, the storms that hit D.C. this weekend led to a walkway at the White House being cordoned off yesterday, over concerns a tree was close to falling. "If this tree falls on you, you'll make the news," a National Park Service officer told Scripps Howard's Isaac Howard, who wrote the pool report.