Proving the rumor-mongers right many months later, Chelsea Clinton is engaged to marry Marc Mezvinsky. Gossips got it wrong at first, though, when rumors swirled that the duo were secretly plotting a wedding this summer in Martha's Vineyard that the Obamas would attend. Oddly, pundits are relatively quiet now that the engagement is in the realm of fact. Here's what they are watching for:
- Wedding Crashers? wonders Alex Pareene at Gawker. He congratulates Chelsea and wishes her luck fending off would-be Salahis. "May your reception be free of aspiring reality show characters, and here's hoping Marc doesn't mind the title 'First Dude.'"
- Powerful Parents Bonding Over Scandalous Pasts, writes David Sessions at Politics Daily. "Like Clinton, Mezvinsky is the child of a political couple: his parents, Ed Mezvinsky and Marjorie Margolies-Mezvinsky, were Democratic representatives from Iowa and Pennsylvania, respectively. The engaged couple also share a familiarity with political scandal. Mezvinsky's father spent five years in prison for defrauding investors of more than $10 million."
- The Obamas? says Andrew Quinn at Reuters. "The rumors had the Obama family attending the wedding that didn't happen. Now that it's real, wonder whether the former first family will invite the current first family to the event."
- Fancy Catering Frank James at NPR notes that the couple won't have any money worries. "Chelsea works for a hedge fund, Mezvinksky is a Goldman Sachs investment banker, so this will be a marriage that starts off fairly well-capitalized. And that's without taking into account the millions of dollars the future bride's parents, former President Bill Clinton, and Secretary of State, made on their biographies and the continuing cash haul the former president rakes in from speeches."
- Religious Negotiation writes Ruth Abrams at Interfaith Family. Remarking that Mezvinsky is Jewish, she says "It will be interesting to see how the famous couple handles the interfaith aspects of their relationship."